DEBT COLLECTOR SPECIALIST (FULL TIME)
Title: Debt Collector Specialist
Reports To: Revenue Cycle Manager
Mission: To provide the residents of our communities the highest quality, state-of-the-art and comprehensive Orthopaedic care.
Main Function:As a member of the care team, the Deb Collector Specialist is responsible for working collaboratively with other team members to assure the safe, timely and accurate delivery of patient care. Maintains all patient confidentiality and HIPAA rules and regulations. Supports Tucson Orthopaedic Institute’s mission, values, vision, goals and objectives.
- Operate within the concept of patient focused care
- Anticipate patient needs
- Deliver caring timely service with positive body language
- Responds promptly to patient needs and requests
- Greet patients at every stage of the visit
- Responds promptly to Physician and team member requests and inquiries
- Participates as an active, positive member of the TOI team
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Debt collector will be charged with skip tracing, negotiation and hitting recovery goals while working with delinquent customers. The Debt collector will prepare notifications to secure payment; explain penalties, interest, deadlines, and consequences for failure to comply.
- The Debt collector will obtain and evaluate financial information for the purpose of negotiation payment of balance in full, settlement and /or payment plan.
- Works with patient’s accounts in the PM System
- Initiates recovery of personal checks with insufficient funds including the use of local government entities (e.g. Pima County Bad Check Program)
- Interviews patients or responsible individuals to arrange methods of payment or extensions of credit; secures information relative to patients’ financial status, evaluates credit histories, and determines payment options based upon patient’s ability to pay and organizational compliance policies
- Recommends bad debt or charity write-offs when applicable
- Prepares monthly collection packets for the Physicians to review
- Recommends accounts to Outside Collection Agency
- Participates in the development of operation policies, processes, procedures, and protocols for the patient portion of the Revenue Cycle
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as assigned by the CFO and/or Revenue Cycle Senior Lead
- Accepts full ownership of responsibilities and assigned duties
- Maintains a neat, clean work environment
- Adheres to all applicable HIPAA, Billing Compliance and safety policies and guidelines including organizational and department values, confidentiality policies and standards, and training requirements
- Performs related work as required
- Previous experience in customer service and collections.
- Basic computer skills required: Outlook, Excel and Word.
- Ability to communicate in a respectful and assertive manner
- Promote a positive work environment
- Ability to compute basic math calculations using addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and percentages is a must
- Ability to work well under pressure with diverse groups of professionals and physicians
- Ability to communicate written and oral ideas and plan effectively
- Requires good communication and organizational skills
- Requires reasoning ability and good independent judgment
- Must be sensitive to cultural and bilingual issues
- Requires working with frequent interruptions and irregular hours
- Requires tolerance of standing or sitting posture up to (4 hours) continuously, for a total of up to (10 hours) per (12 hours)
- Required to operate computer keyboard, mouse, and monitor for a total of up to (8 hours) per (12 hours)
Working Conditions: Risk of occupational exposure to blood and other potentially infectious materials (OPIM). Possible risk of physical injury due to moving machinery and supplies. This is a safety sensitive position.
All positions with Tucson Orthopaedic Institute are to demonstrate due care in the use and communication of patients’ protected health information. It is every employee’s principal job function to ensure patient confidentiality and failure to maintain confidentiality may, and will, result in sanction and/or discharge.